Life on Spec. Life on Speculation. Life as a super-powered, special needs family
Dictionary.com defines speculation as:
1. the contemplation or consideration of some subject: to engage in speculation on humanity’s ultimate destiny.
2. a single instance or process of consideration.
3. a conclusion or opinion reached by such contemplation: These speculations are impossible to verify.
4. conjectural consideration of a matter; conjecture or surmise: a report based on speculation rather than facts.
5. engagement in business transactions involving considerable risk but offering the chance of large gains, especially trading in commodities, stocks, etc., in the hope of profit from changes in the market price.
I have to say all of the above. My life (and this blog) are full of contemplations upon life. But speculation embraces the unknown, which is what we live on a daily basis. There are so many possible risks into the unknown we take daily, a journey into special needs is just one of them.
Sometimes we say Frankly my Dear, I don’t give a d@mn about the possible risks. We’ve been there and back already, how much worse can it be?
In the land of special needs the only certain thing is: there is no certainty. No one can predict a child’s outcome based on a blip in their DNA. We do know the things that will almost certainly happen – Little Miss Adorable’s Prader-Willi Syndrome diagnosis means she will lose the feeling of feeling full and run the risk of morbid obesity. Mr. Sensitive’s Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy diagnosis means he will eventually lose the ability to walk. But before, during and after these events is pure speculation. We simply don’t know.
Articles about life on spec – a super-powered, special needs family:
©Angela halfpastnormal (2012) All work in this blog is my own and subject to Canada’s copyright laws. If you wish to copy all or a part of any of my posts or blog (including re-blogging, posting links to my blog on sites I do not authorize, etc…) please contact me via email first: